Tuesday 12 August 2014

On faith

I find faith to be an interesting concept. Living where I do, it’s hard to avoid the constant barrage of sermonising that hits you as soon as you walk out of the station. I don’t resent this – everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, and to express them extremely loudly on the high street if they so wish – but it does make me reflect on my own views around what having faith means.

It’s not the first time I’ve had occasion to stop and ponder on what faith means to me. When I was learning to drive, my instructor was a very bubbly born again Christian. She was nice, and we generally plodded along without hitting too many sticking points, but there was one point at which she succeeded in making me feel pretty uncomfortable. Just as I was about to reverse around a corner (a manoeuvre which to this day strikes me as being utterly pointless), out of the blue she asked “Jessica, do you have faith?”

I was a little taken aback, to say the least. I paused in my mirror checking and looked at her. “Sorry?” She went on to espouse the way in which finding God had changed her life for the better, and how she was on a path to spread the word to as many people as possible. Fine. I wasn’t going to stand in her way. But I also wasn’t going to be backed into a corner (coincidentally whilst backing around one). I calmly told her that I do have faith, but that it is in the people around me – my family and friends – and in myself, and that that is enough for me. Surprisingly, that seemed to be a convincing argument and she stopped her line of questioning.

I really don’t have a problem with faith as a concept, and I’d never suggest to anyone that they should reconsider their views on the matter. Though I myself have never been able to believe in a God or an afterlife (and as such am rather envious of the comfort that must bring to those who do), I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion and belief system. I have many friends that believe in God in one form or another: it is an important part of their life, and comes hand in hand with a sense of community, a moral code, and respect for the people around them. Faith can be a source of comfort, of reassurance, and of strength – no matter what form it comes in. Where I start to get uncomfortable is when other people use their faith as an excuse to infringe upon the rights or happiness of others, placing judgement on those who are different to them in a hurtful and thoughtless manner.

An example – several years ago, whilst I was still at university, I opened the door of our house to be greeted by an elderly woman collecting money for Christian Aid. As door-to-door collectors are often wont to do, she immediately launched into a spiel without giving me room to say hello. I let her continue on for a while, nodding and smiling until there was a brief lull in the narrative flow. At that point, I calmly let her know that I was already a regular donor to a couple of charities, and wasn’t looking to sign up to anyone new on a whim. I was polite, I smiled, and I didn’t slam the door in her face. But the immediate response I got was “Why don’t you want to do the Christian thing and help these poor people? It’s your duty to God to lend a hand. Do you not have any morals?”

Oh my.

I was not happy about this. My demeanour instantly changed from friendly and understanding to bristly and short-tempered. I don't doubt that she was a rarity amongst Christian Aid charity workers in her extremism and rudeness, and that it was a highly unfortunate encounter. But it felt intrusive, aggressive...like I was being pounced on in the safety of my own home. We don't accept or expect that kind of behaviour in any other walks of life, and I was angry that she was using her faith as an excuse to verbally attack me.

Ultimately, I subscribe to the “live and let live” philosophy. I think faith is a good thing – whether it’s in God, other people, or yourself – and can give us something to draw on when it’s a particularly bad news day, or life hands us an unfortunate set of circumstances. If someone wants to believe in God, or hold firm to any religious ideology, then they are perfectly entitled to do so. But by the same logic I feel I am perfectly entitled to put my faith in people rather than God, and to do so without people telling me I’m inherently wrong. I would never go door to door, accusing people of being immoral because they don't share my particular viewpoint on the world. That is behaviour that infringes on the independent spirit and happiness of another, and I strongly feel that should not be condoned in any belief system.

It’s not a simple issue. Nor is it an uncontroversial one. But if we could all just remember to be respectful of the other people around us - regardless of our differences in faith - I bet you we’d be a lot happier in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment